Wednesday, August 03, 2005

Atlanta vs. The Grid System

I discovered a new reason why I'm so scared to leave Utah. I don't know if I'll be able to handle life outside of the street grid system. Like many new students in Provo, at first I hated it, I thought it reeked of boredom. After getting used to it however, I found it to be a very practical tool. Where else can you just give someone your address and they automatically can find your house without any further directions?
Well, on our recent excursion to Atlanta I was reminded again of how cool the grid system is. Several times, we would have the address of where we wanted to go and a map and we still couldn't find it. It didn't help that in Atlanta, you can ask 5 different people the way to get to a restaurant 3 blocks away and you will get 5 completely different sets of directions; some will get you there and some will lead you so deep into the ghetto that you'll be scared to slow down enough to turn around. Also Atlantians (not to be confused with people from Atlantis) or A-T-L-ians, as I prefer to call them, have a somewhat skewed interpretation of the whole left-right-straight system of giving directions. Apparently, sometimes "go right" means go right. But sometimes "go right" means to go left or to turn completely around with a slight course deviation. Maybe they just saw we were tourists and wanted to have some fun. And if you're wondering why they just don't say North or South or East or West, you need to realize that you can't tell those directions in the South because everything is flat so going North looks exactly the same as going South-Southwest. Anyway, these address problems, although slightly annoying did seem to make the trip a little funnier. But I'm still scared to go back to Louisiana, the only state that has even more messed up streets. I'll have to blog about that later.

No comments: